Karpaz Gate Marina welcomes Turkish solo sailor Özkan Gülkaynak for two local seminars when it hosts the Caretta Caretta Yacht Rally’s three-day stay in North Cyprus this week.
The renowned circumnavigator is a special guest at the award-winning marina as part of the TRNC Sailing Federation’s 2018 event programme scheduled for around 17 yachts and their crew during the rally’s visit to the Karpaz peninsula.
Arriving from Girne on Thursday, 31st May, the Caretta Caretta yacht crews will be based at Karpaz Gate Marina until Sunday, 3rd June where they will be able to enjoy facilities including Hemingway’s Resto-Bar, the Beach Club with 33m infinity swimming pool, and gym. A short sail to Monastery Bay on the tip of the peninsula is also on the agenda on Friday for an overnight stay off the coast of one of the most spectacular areas of the island.
Single-handed sailor Mr Gülkaynak is famous for completing his around-the-world tour between 2006 and 2008 onboard his 26ft boat Kayitsiz III without using any electronic navigation tools. Sailing a yacht constructed by hand using long-established methods, his voyage was a bid to raise awareness in his homeland of sailing traditions and the dangers that unchecked development represents to the world’s coastlines.
Organised jointly by TRNC Sailing Federation and Karpaz Gate Marina, Mr Gülkaynak will first present a seminar to Yenierenkoy High School students on Thursday at 10am when he will share his experiences from his world trip. The Turkish sailor will then hold a further talk on Saturday at 4pm at Karpaz Gate Marina open to all the rally participants and marina clients before the Caretta Caretta contingent gathers for a final dinner hosted at Hemingway’s.
Bahadir Gökçetekin, Karpaz Gate Marina Harbour Master, said: “It is a great pleasure to welcome Mr Gülkaynak to Karpaz Gate Marina and to once again host the Caretta Caretta yachts during their stay in North Cyprus. We are particularly pleased to give the young people at Yenierenkoy High School, as well the rally crews and our marina guests, the chance to hear the fascinating stories from this unique voyage in just an 8m boat, relying on only a sextant to plot a position.
“We hope the visiting sailors spend time relaxing and enjoying our hospitality at the marina, as well as the beautiful sailing available along the North Cyprus coast.”
With 300 berths and the capability to accommodate up to 60m vessels, Karpaz Gate Marina is renowned as a safe haven with premier berthing services for yachts and superyachts and their crew, and is also a unique Mediterranean destination. It is the perfect base from which to enjoy the relaxing surroundings and facilities of the Karpaz Peninsula and explore the stunning and historic North Cyprus region featuring ancient castles and abbeys, vibrant culture and enticing cuisine.
For more information about Karpaz Gate Marina, find Karpaz Gate Marina on Twitter: @KarpazGate, Facebook: www.facebook.com/karpazgatemarina and Instagram: @karpaz_gate_marina or go to the website at www.karpazbay.com.
For further information, please contact:
Karpaz Gate Marina
Office Tel: +90 533 833 7878
Tel: +44 (0)1202 669244
About Karpaz Gate Marina
In a time when boat owners and sailors in the Mediterranean are burdened with increasing bureaucracy and taxation issues, Karpaz Gate Marina offers a real sanctuary.
The first modern marina in North Cyprus is positioned to provide all its berth holders and visitors with a welcome haven from most of the costly and time-consuming procedures that will probably continue to affect boat owners within the EU and in other regions.
Karpaz Gate Marina offers a range of benefits associated with the unique status of this untouched location in the Eastern Mediterranean. It is free from tax, outside of the EU yet geographically within its borders, free from complicated official paperwork, flexible on duration of stay and free from other irritating issues for relaxation-seeking boat owners.
Designed exclusively to fulfil the needs of boat owners, the 5 Gold Anchor-rated marina with fully-equipped boat yard is safe, secure, service-orientated and community-minded, offering exceptional value for money.
Find a home and a haven at Karpaz Gate Marina.
Karpaz Gate Marina Facts
Our Vision: Karpaz Gate Marina’s vision is to introduce the less travelled areas of the Eastern Mediterranean to the yachting sector, to lead the development of this region to create a widely recognised and attractive yachting tourism destination, and to establish the marina as the leading homeport in the Eastern Mediterranean.
- Location: the northern shore of the Karpaz Peninsula in North Cyprus, 20nm west of Cape Andreas and 48nm east of Girne (N35 33.5’ E34 13.6’)
- Awards: Karpaz Gate Marina was named The Yacht Harbour Association’s (TYHA) 2017 International Marina of the Year; TYHA’s top rating of 5 Gold Anchors was received in July 2013; ICOMIA Clean Marina standard achieved in July 2013
- Berths: 300 accommodating up to 60m vessels, including 15 berths for superyachts
- Berth services: power and fresh water (produced on site) available for every berth; TV connection; high speed Wi-Fi to all areas of the marina
- Security: 24/7 CCTV and security personnel throughout the marina as well as access control and access cards for each marina area
- Boat Yard: 18,000 square metres of dry storage area, with modern and fully-equipped workshops and a 300-ton travel lift accommodating yachts with a beam up to 10m
- Fuel: Euro diesel and gasoline available
- Duty Free status: includes duty-free prices on fuel, technical services and supplies, as well as berthing fees
- Leisure facilities: include Hemingway’s Resto-Bar; Beach Club, with 33m Infinity pool, watersports centre, private beach, children’s pool and play area, restaurant and bar; private Gallery Club; cinema; Mephisto Diving Centre; fitness centre/gym
- Cruising locations: there are miles of sandy beaches, coves and bays along the north east coast of Northern Cyprus, with Famagusta (67nm) and Girne (48nm) a short sail away. The nearby southern Turkish coastline includes the harbours of Alanya, Antalya, Marmaris and Bodrum. Rhodes, gateway to the Greek Islands, is just under 300 nautical miles away
- On-site activities: include private Gallery Club, music and movie nights, BBQs, art exhibitions
- Shore services: include on-site mini-market, chandlery, laundry room, international currency ATM and Cyprus Yachts brokerage and new boat sales office
- Marina office services: include online weather updates; concierge and VIP service; airport collection service to/from nearest airports of Larnaca and Ercan
- Pollution controls: waste water collection and treatment plant; solid waste collection stations; bilge water collection service; waste engine oil collection stations; independent desalination plant
- Port of Entry: marina office provides full assistance with clearance procedures
- Group membership: ICOMIA Marinas Group (IMG); ‘Destinations’, a network of exclusive marinas established by ART Marine Marinas
- Management company: Sea-Alliance Group
- Harbour Master: Bahadir Gökçetekin
- Contact: Marina Office on VHF Channel 10 ‘Karpaz Gate Marina’. The marina also listens on Channel 16
- 2018 offers*: include a free haul out, hull wash and anti-fouling application with 14 days hard standing for annual berth holders; discounts on berthing rates; free ‘Special-Care Package’; ‘Freezing Option’ to suspend annual contract; individually-tailored packages (*T&Cs apply)