- Oceanology International Americas will take place from February 25-27, 2019 at San Diego Convention Center
- Second edition introduces range of key developments and is set to generate an additional 1,000 attendees
Leading global forum for marine science and ocean technology Oceanology International has announced that its North American event will return for its second edition in 2019 newly branded as Oceanology International Americas to broaden its emphasis and appeal to the rest of the Americas.
Reed Exhibitions, in association with The Maritime Alliance (TMA), confirmed today that OI Americas will return to San Diego Convention Center from February 25 to 27, 2019. Following feedback from participants and industry stakeholders, the three-day conference and exhibition will encompass the Americas and the Caribbean with the aim of welcoming hundreds of additional attendees and enabling more than 200 exhibitors to showcase the latest ocean technologies and industry developments on the trade show floor as well as on the water outside.
Following the successful launch event this year which attracted 1775 unique visitors, the expanded 2019 edition will feature a range of new and enhanced facilities and elements. These include a larger exhibit hall which will allow the assimilation of the main conference track with the show floor through a new integrated theatre, increased program of ‘OceanSocial’ networking events, new tools to help participants interact, a stronger showcase for new technologies, and a richer, more comprehensive, conference program.
Jonathan Heastie, Event Director from organisers Reed Exhibition, said: "We’re excited to broaden the geographical focus of the event to include new content, contacts and connections across the Americas, adding depth and scale to our growing North America participation and augmenting our attendance to represent both continents. Our target is to generate an additional 1,000 attendees from across North America as well as from countries including Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Colombia and Brazil, welcoming over 2,750 people to the event in 2019.
“Oceanology International is a truly unique event. No other exhibition and conference connects the manufacturers and users of ocean technology with such a diverse spectrum of scientific and industrial stakeholders. We are proud to provide such an important platform for the industry in both London and in China, and we invite all industry stakeholders, both commercial and non-commercial, from across the Americas to join us in San Diego in 2019 to provide the same world-class forum to help accelerate the ocean economies of these important continents.”
The organisers have invested in a range of key developments which have been introduced to increase the value of the event for attendees. The main conference track, including the opening plenary and keynote speakers, will be hosted in the larger exhibit hall in a specially-built theater. There will also be particular emphasis on extending the technology on show to the water.
To provide a stronger showcase for new blue technologies, a FutureTech hub will be introduced to highlight the latest cutting-edge innovations. The new event will also mirror the OceanICT zone, recently launched at OI London, to feature the latest developments in marine and ocean IT, communications, satellite and data solutions.
Exhibitors will receive free conference passes to use, or to provide to their clients, to ensure they connect with and derive benefit from every aspect of the show. The enhanced interactivity also includes the use of the Oceanology International MyEvent tool which enables attendees to connect with other participants, message them directly, arrange to meet at the show and create a shortlist of relevant products and companies. A dedicated meeting lounge on the trade show floor will be provided free for MyEvent users with plans to also host pre-arranged B2B meetings via the international delegations in attendance.
“We’ll once again be working with the venue and City of San Diego to find a way of accessing the water in 2019,” added Heastie. “In London, we attract over 1,000 visitors to our water-side vessels display and dock-side demonstrations, something that’s important to replicate for our technology buyers and suppliers in San Diego.
“We also want to ensure that the conference and exhibit hall attendees get as much opportunity to meet and network as possible, especially with the boost of participants from the Caribbean, Central and South America. You can’t beat the power and value of doing business face-to-face so we will be investing to ensure that OI Americas 2019 provides a deeper interaction on-site between every attendee to help drive value for every participant.”
Organised by Reed Exhibitions, the world’s leading event organiser with 534 events globally attracting over 7 million participants annually, and supported by a range of industry partners including the Society of Underwater Technology (SUT), OI Americas aims to replicate the scale and breadth of its parent show in London. OIA 2019 will have a clear focus on ‘BlueTech’ to help further develop the Blue Economy through the application of innovative technology and focused collaboration between academics, industry experts and government agencies.
Michael Jones, President of TMA, the event partner and a non-profit organization that promotes BlueTech and Blue Jobs® in San Diego and internationally, said: "As a growing hub for the blue economy in the Americas, and with an enviable location only minutes away from the international border shared with Mexico, San Diego is the perfect location for the growth of the event. We will be working hard to identify and welcome these new attendees to San Diego, sharing with them our BlueTech vision for the region whilst connecting them with our key local stakeholders such as Scripps and the US Navy in this important BlueTech cluster. We invite other clusters and groups from across the Americas and beyond to join us in 2019 to see the latest ideas, technologies and industry developments, and make new connections to drive further opportunities for their organisations.”
For more information on OI Americas 2019, please click here.
Oceanology International takes place next in Qingdao, China, from 1-3 November, with the main ‘mother event’ at London’s ExCeL, from 13-15 March 2018. For further information and registration: http://www.oceanologyinternational.com/
For further information, please contact:
Marketing Manager, Energy & Marine Group
Tel: +44 (0)20 8910 7980
Jules Riegal/Karen Bartlett
Tel: +44 (0)1202 669244
About the Oceanology International Portfolio
The Oceanology International portfolio of events offer a global forum where industry, academia and government share knowledge and connect with the marine technology and ocean science community, improving their strategies for measuring, exploiting, protecting and operating in the world’s oceans. First established in 1969, the flagship event in London features the world’s largest exhibition for marine science and technology, multiple agenda-setting technical conferences, and a visiting vessels and waterside demonstration program.
The Oceanology International portfolio includes:
- Oceanology International China: Developed with government and industry associations, Oceanology International China provides organizations with the opportunity to capitalize on China’s rapidly growing offshore energy and marine industries. With 215 exhibitors from 20 different countries, more than 5000 domestic and overseas professional attendees from 32 different countries and regions were attracted to OI China 2015. OI China 2017 (1-3 November) is excited to announce a move to Qingdao.Qingdao is the largest city in eastern Shandong Province on the east coast of China, the wealthiest city in Shandong Province, a demonstration area for marine ecology protection and a pilot city for marine technology and has key economic links with Ontario & British Columbia, Canada. www.oichina.com.cn/en
- Oceanology International: Oceanology International is the leading conference and exhibition dedicated to serving all professionals working in the global ocean science and marine technology sector. The first Oceanology International was held in Brighton, in 1970. Today, its home is at ExCeL London. The OI2016 exhibition was the largest ever in the show’s 47-year history with over 8,500m2 occupied by 520 exhibiting companies from 33 countries. www.oceanologyinternational.com
- Catch the Next Wave conference: Now in its fifth edition, Catch the Next Wave is an exclusive conference taking place alongside or as part of Oceanology International events globally. The most recent program in London took place at the prestigious Royal Institution, and the North American edition will form part of the OINA conference program on February 16th 2017. The event takes a longer-term view of the capabilities that will shape our future ability to explore, understand, exploit and protect the oceans. Catch the Next Wave 2018 is taking place alongside Oceanology International 2018 This one day programme (Thursday 15 March) will explore the future of disruptive exploratory technology and consider opportunities for technology transfer from outside the marine industry and is run in association with The Explorers Club. www.ctnwconference.com
- Oceanology International Americas: The successful launch event of the biennial series took place in 2017 as Oceanology International North America from Feb 14-16 at San Diego Convention Center, USA. Now rebranded as Oceanology International Americas, the second edition returns to the same venue on February 25-27 2019. www.oceanologyinternationalamericas.com
About Reed Exhibitions
Reed Exhibitions is the world’s leading events organizer, with over 500 events in 30 countries. In 2015, Reed brought together over seven million event participants from around the world generating billions of dollars in business. Today, Reed events are held throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and Africa and organized by 40 fully staffed offices. Reed Exhibitions serves 43 industry sectors with trade and consumer events. It is part of the RELX Group plc, a world-leading provider of information solutions for professional customers across industries.www.reedexpo.com